Thursday, January 7, 2010

Thankful

This last week has been a scary and crazy time in our lives. Starting on Wednesday Travis wasn't feeling very good and the doctor gave him an antibiotic. On Thursday he wasn't doing much better and was starting to feel achy everywhere, but we decided to go to the cabin with his family anyways. Friday he was still hurting all over, but didn't want to let the kids down so we stayed until later that night, but on the drive home he was getting worse. On Saturday morning he woke up before us and drove himself to the doctor(which he shouldn't have done!) They ran every blood test on him and at this point he was starting to not be able to move his arms and legs very well. They were worried about Gullain Barre Syndrome. Thankfully this was not what he had. He got home and called me from the garage and said I can't make it into the house by myself. It was Breannas baptism in about 25 minutes and he convinced me that he could make it to the baptism and then I could take him to the hospital after. I got him dressed because he could hardly move his arms at this point and called Mark to help me get him into the church. By the time he walked into the baptism he was in so much pain that he was in tears which doesn't happen to my tough husband. Howard and Brian helped him out after the opening prayer and Brian had to carry him to the car. Becky came with us which was such a blessing because I was so scared to watch him falling apart so quickly. They ran every blood test, X-ray, MRI, cat scans and even ultrasounds on him. He asked them if it was a boy! He was pretty proud when the X-ray tech asked him if he was a runner after x-raying his lungs! Everything was coming back normal which was stumping the doctors. He couldn't even pull the blanket up on him at this point.

They admitted him to the hospital and he couldn't do anything for himself. I was having to feed him. It was the scariest thing to watch your husband who is so active and adventurous to not even be able to feed himself.
He was in the hospital for three days and we will probably never know for sure what caused all this. Either a very bad and rare reaction to the Cipro he was on or something viral that attacked his muscles. His CK test came back at 4000 the first day and it is supposed to be around 100 so that meant that he had a lot of muscle tissue in his blood.

Thankfully he is home now and doing better. He pretty much sleeps most of the days, but having him home is so great! I hated the nights he was in the hospital. I missed him so much! He gets tired walking to the kitchen so we know that we have a long recovery ahead of us, but so grateful to have him at home. Also we are so grateful to Mark and Anna for keeping the kids for us. That made it so much easier to know that they were in good hands and being loved. Also thanks to Scott and Becky for watching Bryn and being there for me. We felt so loved and watched over in the hospital with many friends and family checking on us. Thank you all for your prayers we really did feel them.

5 comments:

Jill said...

wow! That is totally strange. I am sure you feel so helpless when even the doctors don't know what's wrong. I hope he gets well soon.

JT, Carly, Boston, Jocelyn and Snuggles said...

So scarey Lanell. I couldn't believe it when JT told me. Travis is so strong. I hope he continues to improve. Hang in there. You guys are in our thoughts and prayers.

ashlee said...

We're so glad Travis is back home! Jake is so worried for his buddy! Anyways, we'll be checking in again soon...keep us updated!

Devri said...

Oh, way scary! Hope he is getting better quick. I can't even imagine how you must've felt. So helpless for sure. Thinking of you!

Jacobson Five said...

Wow that is scary stuff, hopefully he is better now.
I'm glad you found my blog...by the way I got the pictures done at JC Pennys. I think they do a pretty good job.